Saturday, November 5, 2011

l'arbre de reflexion

I still wake up some mornings in my bug hut wondering where exactly I am, and suddenly remember I'm in Africa.  Depending on where Orion's belt is in the sky I can tell the time; it's at eleven o'clock it must be 4am time for the early morning latern trip.  The stars at night are amazing here, you can even see the satellites orbiting.  Staring at the stars, in a way makes me feel a connection with everyone back home, they're a common denominator, something we can all share.  I remember looking up at Orion's belt on those clear and brisk November nights. 
It's amazes me just how fast I've adjusted in these past few weeks; poopin' in a hole, got that down to a science, bucket baths, got those down to the last drop, local foods, I can stomach most of them now, adoption into an African family, need me to fetch the water mom?  It's definitely been intense though, enough so that some people from my stage have terminated early and are back home now.  It's exhausting to say the least, but each day I find something that leaves me in disbelief/amazement/awe.  Sometimes it's the small victories like a cold Fanta/Coke/water at the end of the day, or watching the sunset at the "reflection tree", or simply riding my bike down the dirt road with my little host bro sitting in the back enjoying the breeze.

3 comments:

  1. Mi amor me alegra saber que tu mirada esta en cada bendicion que el Señor pone en tu camino a diario pues eso alegra su corazon
    Disfruta de cada regalo, de la compañia de tu hermanito y que esa relacion sea de gran bendicion
    Te amo,gracias por la foto que me enviaste te ves" ganster"

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these photos are beautiful David. Sounds like you're really experiencing an amazing part of life, the world, and the people inhabiting it. Your words are so pleasing to hear all the way from Africa. Hope you are safe!

    ReplyDelete